Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Review of Found in Translation

Found in Translation by Roger Bruner is the first book in the Altered Hearts series, and it is the story of a girl who gets a new perspective on life and her relationship with God during a hard-core mission trip to a devastated Mexican village.

Kim Hartlinger is eighteen, spoiled, and looking forward to a relaxed, fun mission trip to a beautiful city, but her plans are soon changed when she ends up going to a remote village to help heal the spiritual and physical condition of the village ravaged by a terrible storm. Kim learns to open her heart to God's plans and gets to sow seeds in the villagers hearts... in her own unique way.

This story was really sweet. Kim didn't strike me as too spoiled, and she genuinely wants to pursue God and help others do the same. There were a few funny moments, like when Kim forgets to set her watch and a disaster ensues. I liked the more spiritual change in Kim. She learned to forgive, trust God, and just love. I love Kim's relationship with a village girl in the story. The language barrier was distinct, yet the girls completely overcame that and communicated clearly in a beautiful way. By the way, I loved the cover. Not sure why, but its just so awesome.

The story had some somewhat dry elements, however. I felt as though the beginning and ending was great, but, in between, the story sort of bumped along very slowly. Kim has a caring yet odd friendship with an African-American girl who brings up differences in race a lot. Of course, the book is definitely not racist or anything, but I was confused as to why it was mentioned so often. I also found it odd that this book was so emotional. Yes, mission trips are amazing, life-changing experiences, but I saw the word "giggling" many, many times in this book. It also seemed as if Kim was often either crying hard or laughing hard. Kim also speaks with what she refers to as "Angel", and the book never really tells us what it is... A dream? A real angel? I was confused about that part.

All in all, I rate this book three out of five stars.

Specifics (from amazon.com):
~Paperback: 368 pages
~Publisher: Barbour Books (January 1, 2011)

Note: Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an electronic review copy. 

Blessings,

2 comments:

Go Bold said...

I've never heard of that book before.

Shelley said...

I like the cover too! :) Sounds like an okay kind of book. Great review Prism!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin