Friday, February 18, 2011

Going Against the Flow

Picture of Cassy Herkelman after Joel Northrup forfeits. (This picture is NOT mine)
Here's just one example of one teen going against the flow: Joel Northrup.

Joel is a home schooled sophomore wrestler from Iowa who recently forfeited a match against wrestler Cassy Herkelman, a girl.

Here's a quote from him (Go here for my source):

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times. As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

I also appreciate the girl's parent's public reaction to the situation. The father of Cassy Herkelman respected Northrup's position, although he may not have understood it. 

Wow... From what I've read, this was a pretty big tournament for Northrup, and great things were expected of him. I believe he made the right decision. As Christians, we don't always seem normal. We look at the world with a completely different view, and we should always stand firm, and respectfully so, in our beliefs.

I don't believe guys should wrestle girls either. The sport involves very close contact, and between a guy and a girl- it can get pretty inappropriate.Yes, it is just a sport, and yes I know nothing is going to happen on the mat with the crowds there and everything.

But doesn't it, in a way, throw off the guy? The girl is a girl. The guy is a guy. They're both human.

I have been involved in Tae Kwon Do for about eight years. Thankfully, I have an instructor who puts women together for the techniques or exercises that may be uncomfortable. I would not be comfortable at all if I were to be put into a situation where I had to engage a guy in physical contact, such as wrestling. It would not be appropriate, and why would I even want to risk it?

I'll leave your opinion up to you, but I, for one, applaud Northrup and wish him all the best.

Blessings,

3 comments:

Camellia Day said...

I agree! Such a close contact sport isn't the best sport to have girl-guy pairings.

Anyway, to me wrestling has never sounded good. Haha. I'm more of a soccer and football girl. ;]

-Lia-

Jazmine~ said...

I totally agree, my brother had done Karate a while ago before he broke his ankle doing it (ouch I know), and he said "Jazmine, you should totally try it! Its fun!" I told him I'd rather not be told to wrestle another guy...
thats just uncomfortable... unless he was like my boyfriend (longterm and I planned on marrying him) or better my husband I'd totally do it.
Or maybe I'd wrestle my brothers... but not some guy... lol

Araken said...

I was quite impressed by the young man's example.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin