Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Time for a little history lesson!!!

*ignores groans* :D

St. Patrick's Day, contrary to popular belief, is not a day to wear green, kiss the Irish, and pinch everyone who does have grass-colored clothing.

It is a day to commemorate a man who went to Ireland to preach the Gospel to the people. His story is pretty amazing.

Funny, but my interest in the history of St. Patrick's Day began when I saw a Veggietales short involving a flannel board, a green puppet, and talking felt animals.

As a boy of just sixteen, Maewyn Succat was taken as a slave from Wales to Ireland. After a long time of servitude, he was able to escape and return home.

Yet, he came back to preach the Gospel to them!

"I saw a man coming, as it were from Ireland. His name was Victoricus, and he carried many letters, and he gave me one of them. I read the heading: "The Voice of the Irish". As I began the letter, I imagined in that moment that I heard the voice of those very people who were near the wood of Foclut, which is beside the western sea—and they cried out, as with one voice: "We appeal to you, holy servant boy, to come and walk among us."
-St. Patrick

And he only became St. Patrick after his death.

Interesting, huh?

God Bless ye laddies an' lassies,

*once again ignores groans*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe! Yes, the language was Elvish (good guess!)
I probably said either Maƫ gonnavan, which means 'well met' or 'hello,' Bado go Eru, which means Go with God, or Namarie, which means farewell. :D

Sarah said...

Cool. I thought that was interesting. I wonder who came up with the pinching and wearing green. Today, I am wearing a green wolf t-shirt, light green pants, and lime green crocs :P

Sarah Grady said...

I love ST. Patrick's day 'cause I'm Irish! But yeah, the history is pretty sweet! But I like St. Valentines story even better!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin