Monday, July 5, 2010

Review of Premiere!

Premiere by Melody Carlson is the fashion-charged story of two sisters who are pushed into the spotlight. Paige Forrester, the older of the two, is a natural when it comes to being in front of cameras. She's beautiful and has incredible fashion knowledge. Erin Forrester, on the other hand, enjoys being behind the scenes, operating cameras to record others. When Paige makes a mistake on public television, the girls are soon surprised when they are given the opportunity of a lifetime- to enjoy the glitz and glamor of their own fashion TV show!

Can the girls put aside their differences and work together?

I enjoyed the sisterly bond between Erin and Paige. The girls do have their moments of anger, but they stick together through it all. Erin is a girl many can relate to- she's average in many respects and has issues with her image and who she is. I appreciate how Erin's faith influences her throughout the story to lead a good example for her family (her mom and sister are not Christians) and to make wise choices that are apparent to everyone. I appreciate that, unlike some previous Melody Carlson books like the Carter House Girls, Premiere stays away from the heavy mentioning of some ugly things in the teen world. The only thing in the book is about some underage drinking at a high-profile party, and Erin (who is the main character) looks at it with a negative attitude. She refuses to take part in it, and that I applaud.

However, I have to admit the storyline was a bit dull for me. It sort of rambled on, with girl drama here and there. I didn't feel like there was a huge adventure or change in this story, as the girls had grown up with parents working in the TV world. I believe fashion-savvy girls would enjoy this book to some degree, as brand names and designers are mentioned throughout Premiere. I, not being into fashion, sort of skimmed over the designer names because I've never heard of any of them before.

I recommend this book to fashionistas age 13 and up.

All in all, I give this book two stars out of a possible five.

~Specifics~ (from amazon.com)
~Paperback: 224 pages
~Publisher: Zondervan (May 7, 2010)
~Product Dimensions: 8.4 x 5.4 x 0.7 inches

Note: This book was provided freely to me by Zondervan publishers. I am not obligated to give a positive review, only an honest one.

God Bless,

2 comments:

Golden Eagle said...

I'm not that interested in fashion, so I probably wouldn't pick that up. Thanks for the review, though!

Shelley said...

Great book review!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin