Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Hot Topics: Christian Rock Music???

"You call that 'Christian' rock music?"

I've heard about this topic a lot, but mostly from people in their thirties or forties when they talk to teen musicians. Especially from the Bible teachers from the video school I have been involved with for the past couple of years.

1. "Rock" music is evil...

2. Christian rock music is a tool to reach our generation...

What's true? Depends on how you look at it.

I'd say that music comes from God. I mean, music is a part of our worship at church, right? David wrote a TON of songs in the thickest book of the Bible. He danced his way through town when the Ark of the covenant was brought home.

I've heard it said that just the beat and instrumentation of rock music is repulsive and satanic. Not necessarily. I'd say it's the words.

I may be biased since my favorite kind of music is mild rock (Favorite song "Ignition" by TobyMac), but please hear me out. Sure the beat of the music may get you pumped, but the question is... what for? Is it to go after girls/guys and drugs or chase after God and be like Christ?

I've seen some of the scary stuff at some places. Some popular TV shows have displayed rock music. I saw some bizarre behavior and coarse language. Many people who have seen that kind of stuff automatically think Christian music is like that. Not at all!

Many artists, yes Christian too, have interesting clothing. I have yet to see a Christian band push it too far. By "Christian" I mean truly Christian. Some bands go under the umbrella of religious music, but they do not reflect it in the way they act, dress, and sing. But, for the most part, Christian bands do their best to reach out and sing about Jesus.

Screamo Christian Music- honestly that stuff scares me. Usually I like to survey the band's attitude before I label them as something I want to listen to. Yes, I have some songs like that in my library, but they are mostly singing and the screaming is my least favorite part. I know it pumps up the adrenalin, but why? I seriously just don't get the whole thing. To tell you all the truth, I'm still debating if I believe that it's Christian music or not.
What are your opinions on screaming during songs?

The thing is, I've seen a lot of people connect by going to a Christian concert. Hundreds of teens have given their lives to Him. True Christian music is a genuine way of reaching out. But I believe there is a fine line between true Christian music and non.

As you decide whether or not you want to follow a popular band, think about these things

1. Are the lyrics wholesome and pleasing to God?
2. How is the music portrayed (artists' attitude, way of bringing the music, ect.)

God Bless,

4 comments:

Elizabeth J. said...

I agree that attitude does matter a lot in the way music is portrayed. However, if you're going to dance-dance in a way that is pleasing to God and is suggestive or sensual in any way! Music feeds a lot on emotion-people know that, Satan knows that. We should be careful not to get "caught up in the moment" and forget what we're doing. Those are my ideas, your post was very thought provoking. I'm not saying music can't be lively or moving, but I prefer not to feel like I'm at a rock concert.

~Prism~ said...

@Elisabeth: I totally understand.
Dancing is a part of the worldy rock thing, and I haven't really seen that in the places I have gone and in the music I have listened to. I believe that suggestive dancing should definitely be under unwanted behavior. However, I believe that not all dancing is bad, even if I hate dancing when I'm the one doing it. (Those who know me will definitely testify to that fact =D)
True. Which is why we need be discern between true Christian music and non.
Thanks so much for commenting!

God Bless,

~Prism~

Sarah Grady said...

I remember when I was younger I thought that rock was of the Devil himself. Now I'm older and like it a lot, but I choose to listen to uplifting rock rather than trashy!

~Prism~ said...

@SarahO'G: Same here. You should've seen my face when I was eleven and hearing a dcTalk song for the first time. (I think it was "Jesus Freak") I...well, freaked.
Definitely! Listen to music that points to God, not something else!

God Bless and Rock on,

~Prism~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin