Saturday, May 7, 2011

Review of Roadside Assistance!

Roadside Assistance by Amy Clipston is the teen fiction novel about a girl's healing journey. Emily Curtis understands cars- they are machines that can be understood. Sure the layout varies slightly by model and make, but they're fairly easy for her to figure out.

People? Not so much.

Emily and her father are forced to move in with Emily's aunt's family after her mom's death after a battle with cancer. The medical bills force Emily's father to lose his business, so they have nowhere else to go. But Emily isn't ready to face her criticizing aunt and her perfect family, especially Emily's perfect cousin, Whitney. The only bright spot in her life is meeting Zander, a guy next door who is as much into cars as Emily is.

The pain is so great, and it feels as if Emily will never get over her mom's death. When people fail, she learns to go to the only One who can heal her.

This book was well-written and the journey of Emily is so endearing. The setting is crystal clear, and I'm sure car-loving girls will love this book. I'm not into cars, but I still thought this book was well-written. The relationship between Emily and her father is sweet even though they do have problems like any father and daughter. I also liked the relationship changes between Emily and her extended family, especially her cousin Whitney. To be honest, what first caught my attention about this book was the author. I've read books by her in the past, but they were adult Amish fiction, so seeing this book piqued my interest. And I wasn't disappointed.

My only complaint was that the book sometimes got a little boring in places and the dialogue got a little bumpy, but that's it. 

All in all, I rate this book four out of five stars. Recommended to teen girls.

Specifics (from amazon.com):
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Zondervan (April 12, 2011)

Author website: http://www.amyclipston.com/index.html

Note: Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book for reviewing purposes.

Blessings,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that will be my next book!!


Jemimabakytgul.blogspot.com

&

Happyflowerdesigns.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I AM NOW OFFICALLY A FOLLOWER OF YOUR BLOG!!!!

~Prism~ said...

Thanks, happyflower!

I don't remember the name, Sierra, what books has she written?

Blessings,
~Prism~

Shelley said...

Great review Prism! It sounds like a really good book! I'll keep it in mind! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin