Sunday, September 20, 2009

Walking the Straight and Narrow?


It is better to be alone than in bad company. Friends can influence their companions in ways that can be from the slightest habit to a life-changing action. Like iron grating against iron, friends can often change each other, and in most cases, bad influences affect good people much more often than the other way around. It is better to chose being alone than with bad influences because we are never truly alone. God is always with us, and our Heavenly Father is a much better friend than any human, much less bad company, can be. Therefore, walking unaccompanied in the path of life should always be chosen over associating with negative influences.

It’s hard being alone, I know that. Especially when there are other people there who could reach out to you. I haven’t had much trouble fitting in, but every now and then there’s this feeling of being alone. I can’t really talk to anyone in terms of what I do and what my classes outside of it are. I don’t know if I’m friends enough to ask for a phone number, e-mail, or even a ride to a school event. It’s sort of uncomfortable, but I’m working through it.

There are some people who aren’t the best. I’ve struggled with people asking me to do things that would increase their opinion of me, but was wrong. It wasn’t, like, this huge crime, but it was something that I wasn’t sure about participating. Peer pressure increased- they’re such nice people who included me when no one else could…
But it was wrong.

Ever been in a situation like this? It really stinks, but sometimes we have to have the guts to say no, no matter what it takes. It may leave us all alone, and that’s no fun. But as I said in the first paragraph, we have Jesus.

“Yeah, yeah…I know, I know!” you may be saying. “He’s God! I need a human to stick with me! It’s like God’s way up there and I’m way down here!”

A few weeks ago I would’ve said the same thing. Why not bring a Christian book (either fiction, biography, or even the Bible!)? Pure music?
What about prayer?
Books and music may/may not be allowed in your school, it depends. But you can pray. It’s your right as a person to have religious freedom. You don’t have to make this ginourmous show. It can just be you lowering your head and letting your heart do all of the talking- after all God knows what we’re really thinking.

Humans don’t know our hearts, and in some cases they don’t care. But our ultimate Friend will never ask us to do wrong or shun us because we happen to be wearing clothes from the last century. He won’t leave.

When humanity fails, go to God.

God Bless,

5 comments:

Camellia Day said...

Amazing. I love it. :)

I should keep this in mind. :D

emii said...

Hey Prism,
I know exactly what you mean. I have good friends at my school, but they're in a different class, and sometimes, even though I have friends in my class too, I get really lonely. I try and remember to ask God to help, and it really works! :)

Luv,Emii

Libby said...

That's so right, Prism.
But, I wish God could just come down here and talk to me face-to-face, because, really, he would be THE PERFECT FRIEND if He could do that. I mean, all things are possible with Him, but why DOESN'T He do that? I don't have any friends -- just blogger ones -- so, yeah, thanks 4 the post :)

Libby

Anonymous said...

Great post!

~Prism~ said...

Thanks so much, everyone! This post was really close to me. Twas like advice to myself! =D

@Libby: I totally get how you feel. I just need to remind myself from time to time that God is God. He does things for reasons above our own. Here are some things I have heard that may be why. I encourage you to match what I say to Scripture and see if it agrees. If it doesn't completely disregard me.
Okay, so I've read and heard many times that God's up there and we're down here because God wants to give us a choice. He wants a real, growing relationship, not a in-your-face, you've just got to love me back feeling. There's also faith. What's true faith if God is there? Like really, really, really, there.

But remember, He is. We have the Holy Spirit with us. And the Bible! The Bible is basically a love letter to you. Every mark, every letter in that book are the words of Almighty God. I find it helpful to have it with me at all times. When I feel lost, lonely, discourage, or just plain normal.

You're never alone!

God Bless,

~Prism~

Blog Widget by LinkWithin