Thursday, January 29, 2009

GoMC has contacts!

No, GoMC doesn't have contacts in the sense that GoMC has people. Well, she does...But just in the terms of-Oh, never mind.

GoMC has the contacts that someone puts in their eyes!

And oh how long she has waited for them!!!

On Wednesday, my dad and I went to the optometrist. He was just having a checkup and I was having an appointment for contacts. I was all nervous and excited.

Anyway, the doctor measured how bad my eyes had gone (They went down 2 steps). It's wasn't necessarily a good or bad thing in general, but it was pretty good considering last time I went for my yearly checkup I went down 6 huge steps. It was pretty scary. They were even considering the possibility that I had glaucoma, a really bad eye disease that nothing can be done about it and it can eventually lead to blindness.

Fortunately, after a stressful and frightening trip to an eye doctor in India, we found out that I had nothing to fear in the sense of glaucoma.
The eye doctor trip in India was truly traumatic at the time. I got so scared when they put these drops in my eyes. It dilated my pupils so the bright lights really hurt. Next they took me to a room to the glaucoma doctor. He put more drops in my eyes that numbed them. Then he took a blue light and stuck them on my eyeball. That was it.
I broke down and cried like a baby. A big, pathetic baby.
After all of that they told me I didn't have glaucoma.
Oh, and after that? I was taken to a dark room where they had a machine that puffed a quick gust of air onto my eyes.
Sounds fun, huh?
Oh, and did I mention that the dilating drops were still working? It was in the middle of the day when we finally went outside. Closing my eyes, I had to cling onto my dad's arm while he lead me around. The sun hurt so much!
Oops. Getting off topic.
Okay, so we still don't quite know what happened that one time. Six steps down is a big deal. My eyes are even worse than my dad's!

Fast forward to January 28th. It's about 3:30 PM. The doctor got the contacts after measuring my eyes, and told me how to put the in, how to clean them, and how to store them. I was so excited about being able to run around without having to worry about my glasses bouncing around on my face, getting smudged, or falling off!!!

And then the time came. They were going in!

But my brain had other ideas.

My eye muscles struggled against it. Eventually, I learned to relax. But alas! Though one contact was in, the other was still to come.
My willpower struggled, but it eventually got in too.

And boy, did I love it when my contacts were on! It almost felt as if nothing was there. I mean, I knew it was in there and even now as I wear them, I know they're in there. But they didn't hurt at all!

So my dad had his checkup and I explored my new eyes. Completely free of glasses! YESSS! I looked around pressed my nose where the glasses used to have been for good vision. I rolled my eyes around, closed them, and crossed my eyes all while mentally sticking my tongue out at my glasses.
In short, I was like a kid in a candy store.

So after my dad's checkup was over, the doctor took me to another room with contacts boxes lining the walls, several chairs, posters about eyes and contacts, and a mirror. He said that I would be "practicing" with my contacts. He plunked the mirror in front of me and told me how to take the contacts off. I tried and tried, but my fear of touching my eyes got in the way. I struggled to take the contact out of my right eye, but it just resulted in a very tired and bloodshot eye.
I didn't get to take it off by the end of the appointment.

But the optometrist said that it was cool; the government had approved for the contacts to be worn for a month straight without taking them out. Of course, that wasn't recommended; there was always the risk of infection with contacts.

I felt really tired when we got home. My dad told me to take a nap, so I just flung myself onto my bed, turned on my music player, and closed my eyes.

It sort of helped.

Fifteen minutes later, I washed my hands (always important before doing anything with contacts or eyes) and was in front of the mirror trying to take the things off. Of course, everyone wanted to watch me take them off, but I felt very strange. Like a microbe under a microscope.
So they, really, she *cough* little sister *cough* left after a very imperative command.
And I did it!

Of course my poor eyes were VERY exhausted, so put them in their case.
But clumsy and un-smart me did a very stupid thing. A very stupid thing that the optometrist had warned about many, many times during my appointment.

I left both of the cases open. Why is that such a bad thing?

You see both of my eyes are different. They don't require the same power. So that means the two contacts are different. And I accidentally dropped my left contact in with my right one.

Big Uh-oh.

I hollered for everyone to stay away and not move the case while I rushed to my bedroom to retrieve my glasses.

My dad said, "*GoMC*! Weren't you paying any attention when he was talking?"

Of course I had...But if you know me, I can really goof things up sometimes.

This time was no exception.

I came back knowing that my left contact would be on top of the right. As quickly as I could, I snatched it outta there. But I'm not exactly sure. Is it the right one?

I think it is...Maybe...

Oh, dear.

God Bless,

P.S. Will post soon about "Glasses VS. Contact Lenses"! Feel free to ask questions about them. I had a lot of questions before I got contacts, but didn't have the chance to speak with anyone, so if you have any questions just comment! You can even do it anonymously.

1 comment:

Sarah Grady said...

Sounds like you had a ball!!!! When I went to summer camp last year, my friend broke her pointer finger. She ended up getting it put in a splint, but then she couldn't put her contacts in or take them out. In the end, she ended up just taking the splint off. It was kinda funny hearing her complain, but kinda sad at the same time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin