Friday, July 15, 2011

Review of Don't Check Your Brains at the Door

Don't Check Your Brains at the Door by Josh Mcdowell and Bob Hostetler is a nonfiction book for teens about some of the tough questions in life. The book is broken down into six divisions about some myths teens face.The divisions are Myths about God, Myths about Jesus, Myths about the Bible, Myths about the Resurrection, Myths about Religion and Christianity, and Myths about Life and Happiness.

I found this book to be good for new teen Christians who may not understand everything that they believe. Its somewhat similar to the Case for Christ series (both adult and children versions) and maybe the Truth Project by Focus on the Family. I'd probably put this one as something to read before reading of viewing the previously mentioned media. I wish there would've been more proof in this book as is shown in the Case for Christ and Truth Project series. I wasn't a huge fan of the first two divisions because I felt there wasn't much proof other than references to the Bible, which are great, but I think a better foundation could have been set. This book is a quick read, though, so I don't know if the authors were set to space constraints. The arguments could have been fleshed out a little more. I did appreciate the chapters towards the back, though. Sort of reminded me that I'm not alone in my stand for what is right when usually I'm the only one in my group of friends. I was reminded to look at the big picture, which is serving and glorifying God.

All in all, I rate this book three out of five stars.

Specifics (from amazon.com):
~ Paperback: 208 pages
~ Publisher: Thomas Nelson (August 2, 2011)

Note: Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book for reviewing purposes.

Blessings,

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin