Thursday, November 24, 2011

Review of Protection for Hire

Protection for Hire by Camy Tang is the first book in the Protection for Hire series. Tessa Lancaster has always been a tough girl. A nonexistent relationship with the dad who abandoned her and a difficult family life lead to a tough attitude that her Japanese mafia ringleader uncle took notice of, and Tessa was made an enforcer. However, due to her involvement with the mafia, she became incarcerated for seven long years for a crime she didn't even commit. In that time, she made the decision to follow Jesus and become a Christian. Now that she's out of jail, Tessa is determined to start over, get a respectable job, stay away from the Japanese mafia, and be different from the woman she once was. A solutions seems to arrive when wealthy Elizabeth St. Amant hires Tessa to act as a bodyguard for herself and her three-year-old son.

But it seems trouble just follows Tessa wherever she goes.

It turns out there's more to protecting Elizabeth. Her abusive husband is very aggressive in getting Elizabeth back and his motives seem unclear. Danger bigger than anything she ever could have expected is lurking, and it will stop for no one. To help Elizabeth out with the legal issues, Charles Britton, up-and-coming lawyer, decides to step in. Tessa is grateful for the help, but she doesn't know that Charles holds a secret that had a huge impact on Tessa's life. Will the two be able to work together for the sake of their client, or will their pasts tear them, and their mission, apart?

I'm a huge fan of the author's books, so this book was a joy to read. I love the author's unique sense of humor and insight into different cultures. I especially found the Japanese mafia aspect very interesting. Tessa's previous ties run deep and are hard to overcome, and her struggle with her past is an excellent addition to this book. The character of Tessa was expertly written. Her motives, personality, and struggles are made very clear, and though most people aren't ex-mafia ex-convicts, I believe she is a very relatable character. The supporting cast also adds beautifully to the story. Elizabeth's southern charm, humor, and grace are an excellent addition to the story, and I loved the subplot of Tessa's relationship with her mother, sister, and niece. Charles's mother Vivian also added charm to the book, and I even loved the minor character of Eddie, Charles's brother. This book left me desperately wanting to read the next book, and the excerpt in the end sold me. I can't wait until #2 in the Protection for Hire series comes out! Bravo!

I will be forthright and say this book is for older audiences. There's one bad word that I noticed and other elements. As for the story itself, I wish the character of Charles was filled out a bit more. The character of Tessa was flawless, but I felt somewhat detached from Charles as I was reading.

All in all, I rate this book four out of five stars.

Specifics (from amazon.com)
~ Paperback: 336 pages
~ Publisher: Zondervan (November 29, 2011)

Note: Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a free e-copy of this book for reviewing purposes.

Blessings,

3 comments:

Trinka said...

I love Camy Tang!!! I've, well...never actually READ any of her books, BUT, I read her blog and her blog posts at Girls, God, and the Good Life. :) She's awesome :) I hope I can read this book someday, but for now I shall have to content myself with reading your reviews!
-trinka
www.lovedbymyking.blogspot.com

Emileigh Latham said...

I can't wait to read it!

Rissi said...

This book sounded really interesting - and I actually just learned about its existence the other day. Should be a thrilling read. =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin